Friday, November 16, 2012

Twinkies are now a collectible...

Wow. There are some institutions you can't picture ever being gone. Hostess is one of them - an American icon for snacks. I got a lot of my kids chores completed with the promise of Hoho's afterward.
If I may indulge a little pondering, I wonder if the union workers feel a smidge 'used'. Surely some of them had to be thinking, while heading out to picket, "Well, the economy sucks, I'm hearing the phrase 'fiscal cliff' and that doesn't sound good, and some cities are going bankrupt. But, my union says I deserve a raise, and by gum, I'm gonna go on strike and show those Hostess people who has the power". Hmmmmm...
So, we end up with Hostess closing down nationwide, perhaps thousands out of work (how does, "I made Twinkies" look on a resume?), and having to go home and tell the family that you are both out of work and their favorite snack is no longer going to be made? (The varied responses to that would be interesting...like, "What do you mean Dad, no more Ding Dongs?...) I hope some union boss, sipping fresh orange juice on the balcony of some hotel suite overlooking a beach, has just a 'smidge' of guilt, wondering how the collective bargaining backfired and about the ramifications, both personally and collectively, to those whose dues they collected over the years, and enjoyed the perks from. Just sayin...

No comments: