Thursday, November 15, 2012

The helpful smile in every aisle.

I have to admit it, I LOVE shopping at Trader Joe's. I first became acquainted with them through my daughter, Melissa, who would pack their frozen chocolate croissants in her suitcase, and bring them from California for our breakfast the next day. Each time she came to visit she would bring a different cracker, some cookie or candy, or other treat for us to try, in addition to her reciting again her own joyous experience shopping there. Of course, when I would visit her, I eagerly went with her so I could experience the joy for myself. I'm rarely jealous, but she had me on that one!
A year ago last July, a Trader Joe's opened (walking distance!) from our home. I can't describe the feeling of fulfillment I felt knowing it was two short minutes away. Having owned a business I admire any business that can woo it's customers to the kind of loyalty I feel, having only been to a regular grocery store a handful of times in the last year. Most days I put off my Trader Joe run until late afternoon; I call it my "Happy Hour". It is my late day fix of fabulous products, the overkill of friendly staff making sure I have found what I'm looking for, and upbeat music - it makes my day.
And, having said that, I pray for them, and other business's like them, who have provided for their workers stellar training, a good work environment, and good benefits. When I ask people there if they like their jobs (and I do that regularly wherever I go), I have yet to find someone there who doesn't beam and tell me how they love working for Trader Joe's. I was shocked when one whispered to me what she'd started at when she went to work for them. The combination of the above is why there is a helpful smile in every aisle. I so hope that, as the increasing regulations and health care issues, kick in, those smiles remain. As I said, they make my day.

No comments: